My first step was getting one of our applications and try adding black box tests. My first stop is robotium.
Robotium is a test framework created to make it easy to write powerful and robust automatic black-box test cases for Android applications. With the support of Robotium, test case developers can write function, system and acceptance test scenarios, spanning multiple Android activities.
Robotium has full support for Activities, Dialogs, Toasts, Menus and Context Menus.
Robotium is founded by the same company that created the maven-android-plugin that we have been using for a long time.
This framework looks great for blackbox testing but I didn't go too deep with it. I just made a test to browse around the app and check that the app shows the screen correctly. I had an issue with a SplashScreen but the feedback was great. I am really pleased with that.
When I reached this point my thought was: "Ok, now I can add blackbox test, but I also need unit tests!"
I try adding simple unit tests to the app but I failed. Classes were too dependent and there was lot's of logic inside the Activities. So I leave the real project away for a while and create a new one to start from the scratch with a new Architecture approach.
I present my last application: ioc_app. The ultimate app to turn a String to uppercase.
Link to the source code.
This project has two modules
a) ioc_app. The android application.
b) ioc_test. The test application.
Let me introduce some of the new stuff I added to this project:
1) Presenter first
I implemented this pattern based on the paper hosted in the link above. It's quite clear.
When packaging an apk, all classes of all libraries used by the program will be included, this makes the apk very huge, even exceeds the capacity of dex. ProGuard can strip unused classes and methods, make it as small as possible.
I am missing adding proguard in an specific profile. It takes some time to compile and I don't want it to run unless I am building a release. Manfred, a committer in the maven-android-plugin project, told me he already did that and he uploaded to a sample project. I need to see that.
Manfred also mentioned he was trying to add obfuscation but he couldn't do it yet. Right now it's not my first priority but it's a nice to have feature.
Just to put it in a sentence: It's Google Guice for Android. I love the fact that from now on instead of writing:
mButton = (Button) findViewById(R.id.submit);
I will write:
private Button mButton;
Unfortunately Guice doesn't provide a mvn repo, so to use roboguice you will need to install guice-2.0-no_aop.jar in your maven repo.
I have some issues with this one. Running tests with mocks in Eclipse i'ts a PITA. Once again I got an excellent feedback but I preferred to go for the mvn approach.
Android-mock needs two jars to work. One for compile time and another for runtime. Right now it just work from mvn. I couldn't make it work from eclipse even though I have the m2eclipse-android-integration.
* I am willing to read more about TDD. I have now everything configured to start doing it.
* I need to setup a Hudson to take care of the CI.
* I would like to start using IntelliJ IDEA but I couldn't manage to make my project run with it. If you did it, please let me know.
I'm hoping you give me some feedback about the skeleton and how to improve it!
Other blogs with useful info: